For
the next six weeks I will be participating in the Accelerated Summer College at
Saint Michael’s College. I am currently taking two courses that consist of both
class time and online coursework. I am a Psychology major with a minor in
Business. During the ACS Program, I will be taking Social Psychology and Marketing
in order to fulfill requirements for both my major and my minor.
Over the course of the six weeks
that I am attending this program, I hope to learn skills both in and outside of
the classroom through both the courses that I am taking and the programs being
offered Student Life and the Wilderness Program. I am very excited to be taking
Social Psychology as I have always been fascinated by the social aspect of psychology
but have never gotten the opportunity to take class in it. I intend to focus on
the social aspect of psych and taking a class will be a good way for me to
figure out if that is exactly what I enjoy learning about. What I am really
hoping to learn in social psychology is the reasons why humans can have such
different reactions to certain situations and what causes these reactions. I am
also looking forward to taking Marketing. I would like to focus on the
marketing side of business for my minor and this class will be very interesting
for me because it involves doing real work with outside businesses. I am
excited to be actually working with companies rather than just taking tests and
quizzes on the reading because testing has never been one of my strengths. I
took an intro business course during my last semester and enjoyed the marketing
aspect and actually marketing the product that we sold using different
promotional techniques like posters, radio ads, and social media. My goals for
outside the classroom are to get involved in both the Wilderness Program and
MOVE. I am hoping to learn how to kayak and climb. I would also like to
participate in service projects through MOVE like serving food to those in
needs. My goals for this summer program are to excel in both of my classes,
learn how to kayak and climb, better my computer skills through the online
coursework, and build connections and experiences that I can put on my resume
and use throughout my life.
I will bring value to the
Accelerated Summer College by bringing a positive attitude and a strong desire to
learn. During class time, I hope to be a positive influence on my peers by
being involved in class discussions and work. I am hoping that my classmates
and I will encourage and push each other to learn more and truly make the most
of our time here at Saint Mikes. I am a team player and enjoy working with
other people so I hope that I can share my enthusiasm for marketing and social
psychology and my desire to learn with peers.
The Accelerated Summer College is so
different from any kind of educational program I have ever been involved in and
I am excited to start this new adventure in my life!
Hey Lily... nice post. Gotta say, this is a great way to get to learn more about each other. It's especially fun learning about you since we work together. One of the few disadvantages of my role at the college has been that I haven't had that many opportunities to work with students until just recently.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about your aspirations and goals at St. Mike's and look forward to working with you in class and learning right along with you.
I know we had class together last semester, but I never really got to talk to you. I'm pumped that we have both classes together. And it's interesting that we seem to each be interesting in the social side of psychology. I really like sociology, so social psych is the perfect blend of both. Hopefully we can help each other out in both psych and marketing.
ReplyDelete